Monday 5 July 2021

Many Opportunities opening up.

In the past 2 months I had many opportunities to do training.

The first was at Walmer Link in Gqeberha at the Mosaic SA school. There I trained 7 (teachers and parents) with the Sophakama Tutor material. My old friend, Bongiwe Robin introduced me to this ministry and I was happy to see the passionate work that they are doing there.

 

When I first lived in Jeffreys' Bay (2014-2017), I always wanted to do something in Hankey, but it did not open up for me. In June 2021 I finally had that opportunity, when I was invited to train some of the Carers of Thorros Child and Youth Care Centre. I became aware of the great tool that the Sophakama Tutor Training is in situations like these and trust that each carer will grow in their skills as they help the children there.

I also had two opportunities in Jeffreys' Bay that opened up. The one was at Joshua Project. I met Lunga Mlangeni (director) at a prayer event for non-profit organizations and he invited me to do some training with their teachers. I was happy for the opportunity and look forward to continue a relationship with them.


 

Finally, for 3 consecutive Mondays I did training at LXP with students and some staff. They have recently started an Aftercare with 70+ children from the community. Because they will in reality not engage in one on one or small group tutoring, I had to adapt my approach and lean more on my experience as a class teacher to help them in this task. I have committed myself to help them with material for the different levels as well as to on a weekly basis help them plan their weekly teaching program. I am so excited about this new Aftercare. I did some reading evaluation with some of the kids and found they are truly in need of some major intervention. May God help us!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment